Subject: CVS ettiquette

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 23:48:55 -0400

I looked through the log and saw a large number of entries with no message.
Please put a note in the log each time you commit saying what change you made,
and if it's anything more than a short comment, post it to the list.

As some of you are new to CVS, I'll explain in detail:
When you type "cvs commit", CVS talks to the server, and after a while brings
up an editor (normally vi, but you can select another with the EDITOR
environment variable; I use kwrite) with a few lines like this:

CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
CVS: Enter Log. Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed automatically
CVS: 
CVS: Committing in .
CVS: 
CVS: Modified Files:
CVS: ot-exodus.texinfo 
CVS: Added Files:
CVS: NEW_WORDS 
CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a blank line before the first "CVS:" line, and the cursor is on that
line. Enter the comment (in vi you have to first type 'a' or 'i', and hit
Escape when you're finished), copy the entire file to the clipboard (this is
not a vi function; highlight it with the mouse), compose a mail message, paste
it (middle mouse button; but from kwrite to kmail you can use ^C and ^V), close
the editor (:wq in vi), and send the message. If it's not obvious what
directory you were in when you typed "cvs commit", please add that to the CVS
comment.

phma