Subject: Commit: fix misspelling; Alice puns

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 18:06:05 -0400

Alice is full of puns which make it difficult to translate into any
other language, especially one designed for clarity. I've read part of Alice in
French, and some of the translations are quite different from the original. For
instance, the whiting (Chapter 10) is called merlan in French. The explanation
in English is "it does the boots and shoes"; in French "le poisson plus lent de
la mer", and since that doesn't mention boots or shoes, the soles and eels are
lost. In Chapter 9 the gryphon tells that he learned Laughing and Grief; in
French he learned Patin et Échec, or Skating and Chess. Maybe in Lojban he
learns wolf and sewing.

phma

---
Fix spelling error "sezlamzmagau"
CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
CVS: Enter Log. Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed automatically
CVS: 
CVS: Committing in .
CVS: 
CVS: Modified Files:
CVS: alice-09.texinfo 
CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------------