Subject: Future lessons material

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:21:18 -0700 (PDT)

Lojbanists, now that I've started in earnest adding material to the
lessons, I thought I might throw to you the issue of what topics to cover.
I discussed this with Lojban Central when I was in Fairfax a couple of
weeks back, and we agreed that this should only serve as an introduction,
and therefore not get too bogged down in technical detail.

Robin was of the same mind, and explicitly wanted to avoid anything that
wasn't common parlance. For that reason he avoided aspect, for example.

I am less of a paedagogue than Robin, I'm afraid, so I've been letting
details sneak in to the text as I'm producing it. And I do think aspects
--- at least co'a and ba'o --- are frequent enough in Lojban to warrant
inclusion. So I'm posting the list of what I think should be covered in
these lessons, for comment:

Material introduced into existing lessons

lerfu: 1

observatives: 2

pe, po, po'e: 3

sedu'u: 7

na'e: 7

lerfu as anaphors: 7

su'u: 7

be, bei: 9

poi, noi: 9

ne, no, no'e: 9

Material to be covered in lessons 11-12-(13? 14? 15?)

gi'e: 11 (not yet written)

zi'e: 11

ka'e

po'u, no'u

advanced UI (textual)

zoi, la'o, zo

joi, ce, ce'o

lo'i, le'i (How to say... chapter)

aspect: ZAhO

ni, ka (ka has already snuck in to exercises)

ni'o

ba'e

si, sa

to

tu'a, jai

fu'ivla

(ke? real lujvo?)

(forethought connection: probably not --- too infrequently
used.)

***

Robin felt --- and I agree --- that the final lesson should be a general
"How do I say X chapter", dealing with basic linguistic functions not
covered elsewhere. Since these would raise issues with potentially
complex grammar (tu'a, kau, ce'u), there is a case for treating these
as mere set phrases, and referring to the reference grammar for the
details.

-- 
Momenton senpretende paseman mi retenis kaj # NICK NICHOLAS.
kultis kvazaux # TLG, UCI, USA.
senhorlogxan elizeon # www.opoudjis.net
(Dume: # [email-masked]
[Victor Sadler, _Memkritiko_ 90] #