Subject: Re: [lojban] so'o preti

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 23:14:06 -0400

On Wed, 31 Dec 1969, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>@c `I quite agree with you,' said the Duchess; `and the moral of
>@c that is--"Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put
>@c more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than
>@c what it might appear to others that what you were or might have
>@c been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared
>@c to them to be otherwise."'
>
>i lu mi do ja'asai tugni sei le noltroni'u cusku i la'e di'u madni'i la'e
>lu ko ckaji le se simlu be do li'u i va'i sa'u lu ko noroi se xanri le nu
>do na ckaji na'eboda poi do simlu fi lei drata fe le ka de poi do ca'a ja
>nu'o ckaji ke'a na drata di poi do simlu ke'a lei drata lo drata li'u li'u
>
>1- Is the English sentence grammatical? (I can't parse it no matter
>how I try, can anyone help?)

I can't either!

>2- If it is, does it mean anything like what I got in Lojban?

The Lojban fails to parse at the second "i". It looks like you need to close
the "sei". Running jbofi'e on the inner quotation, it gronks on the "drata" of
"na drata".

When discussing convoluted sentences (?) like this, can we indent or otherwise
format it to be easier to see the parsing?

phma