Subject: Re: Back to the GNOME stuff

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 06:56:19 -0000

Nice lujvo. Here are a few comments:

Rob Speer wrote:

> samru'e: skami pruce: running process; task
> p1 is a computer process with inputs p2, outputs p3, passing through
> stages/"pipes" p4

I realize that the word "skami" narrows down the meaning of the word 
a bit, but what does "skami" really add? It doesn't really fit into 
the place structure of "pruce". Is "pruce" by itself too broad?

> gunsfe: gunka sefta: desktop
> s1 is a surface for working on g2

I think that's a surface of a worker. Maybe more like 'selgunsfe'.

> plijdu: pilno sidju: tooltip
> s1 is information that helps s2=p1 to use tool p2

'plidju'

> * selviska'e: se viska kakne: visible
> k1=v2 is able to be seen by v1 under conditions k3=v3
> (changed from {viska'e})

'ka'e se viska' is a bit simpler.

> vidnysle: vidni selci: pixel
> s1 is a pixel of screen s2=v1

I think that a vidnysle might be a physical part of the monitor. 
Maybe "xrasle" for pixel. At any rate, whenever you want to say a 
pixel of a picture, I think it has to be "xrasle".

> * mlumu'uxra: simlu muvdu pixra: animation
> p1=m1=s1 is an animation showing p2 with frames m4
> (changed from {mu'uxra})

Animation doesn't really move to somewhere from somewhere (or even 
seem to). I think that it needs to be 'desku' or 'slilu'. Also, in my 
opinion 'simlu' should come second ("desmluxra")

> * datnycpe: datni cpedu: dialog (datnycpe canko = dialog box)
> c1 is a request for information c2=d1 about d2 by method c4=d3 by
> questioner c3

I think that 'canko' is a bit too literal for window. 'jarco' may be 
broad enough to cover it, especially in this case.

> * nermutmi'i: nenri [ke] mucti minji: applet
> (program which runs within another program)
> mi1=mu1=n1 is an applet for use mi2 running within program n2
> (changed from {cmamutmi'i})

se vasru mutmi'i maybe? ('selvau mutmi'i') I save 'nenri' for 
physically inside.

> * datnymo'i: datni morji: memory
> m1 temporarily stores, to be recalled, information m2=d1 about d2

That's not much different from just 'morji'. Also it's a memorizer, 
not the memory itself, which would be something like selmojysro

> * primi'i: prina minji: printer
> m1=p3 is a machine which prints p1 onto medium p2

I think it needs to be something like prifi'imi'i, since the machine 
isn't being a print itself.

> * fukcrupo'e: [temci ke] [nu] fukpi curmi ponse: copyright
> p1 holds the copyright to p2=nu1 since date t2
> (I accompany this with the (C) symbol so I don't offend a non-
Lojbanist FSF
> lawyer. Would it be better to leave the copyright notice in 
English?)

I suggest something like 'fukfi'icruzi'e' (zifre lo nu curmi lo nu 
finti lo fukpi) (or maybe just 'fukfi'izi'e') for copyright holder, 
and ka fukfi'icruzi'e for copyright (which I suppose could be a se 
ponse, since it can be bought and sold, though using ckaji might be a 
little more lojbanic)

> * plixra: pilno pixra: usable picture; 'widget'
> pix1=pil2 is a widget used for purpose pil3

Maybe 'selplixra' so that the places line up. How important is the 
pil3 place?

mu'o mi'e adam