Subject: Re: [lojban] Back to the GNOME stuff

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:31:17 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Rob Speer wrote:

> Hmm. I haven't really given much thought to actually compiling and using GNOME
> with this file yet. Wouldn't most of the text be blank? Or does it default to
> the English text when the translated string is empty?

It should default to English.

> Lojban doesn't officially have a language code, but for now I'm calling it 'lj'.
> ('lb' is taken by Letzeburgesch.) However, I don't know whether I can just
> arbitrarily take an unassigned two-letter code. Perhaps the locale name should
> just be 'lojban'.

Well, you can always do whatever you want, but it might annoy other people
if lj gets assigned to something later on.

RFC3066 is the document to read on figuring out what to do about language
tags.

(two and three letter codes are assigned by ISO639. The Library of
Congress is the ISO639 registrar. See: http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/
I read it only briefly, but it seems that Lojban would need 50+ printed
documents before it could get a tag)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.