Subject: Thought you all would like this...

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:38:02 -0700

A couple of messages from another list I'm on (it's relationship
oriented).

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/
by chain.digitalkingdom.org with esmtp (Exim 3.22 #1 (Debian))
id 150nvG-0001xU-00
for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 18 May 2001 10:20:19 -0700
Received: from poly.polyamory.org (IDENT:mailman@localhost [127.0.0.1])
by poly.polyamory.org (8.11.0/8.11.0) with ESMTP id f4IHIBd15304;
Fri, 18 May 2001 10:18:11 -0700
Received: from u2.netgate.net ([email-masked] [204.145.147.8])
by poly.polyamory.org (8.11.0/8.11.0) with ESMTP id f4IHHVd15286
for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 18 May 2001 10:17:31 -0700
Received: from localhost (otter@localhost)
by u2.netgate.net (8.8.5/8.8.8-KB.072299) with ESMTP id KAA21434;
Fri, 18 May 2001 10:17:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Chris O'Hare" <[email-masked]>
X-Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: The Ogre <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Suggestion for New List Rules
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Sender: [email-masked]
Errors-To: [email-masked]
X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
X-Mailman-Version: 2.0
Precedence: bulk
List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-Subscribe: <http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/listinfo/sfbay-poly>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
List-Id: SF Bay Area poly discussion <sfbay-poly.polyamory.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/listinfo/sfbay-poly>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/private/sfbay-poly/>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:17:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 May 2001, The Ogre wrote:

> On 5/17/01 at 11:43 PM, [email-masked] (Jean Higham-Sergeant) wrote:
> 
> > It's dangerous using language for communication.
> 
> What else would you use on a mail list?
> 
> > English can be 
> > ambiguous. 
> 
> <RLP mode>
> Have I told you how much English sucks?
> </RLP mode>

Perhaps it's time for the official language of sfpoly to change..

Mayan and Egyptian are difficult to use on a mailing list. Chinese and
Japanese have too much cultural context to be a good replacement.
Italian is too dependant on hand gestures. German has all of those
umlauts and accent marks, which I can't find on my keyboard.

Switching to designed languages.. Klingon and Tolkein Elvish aren't
fleshed out enough to be seriously considered. I like Galatic 6 for it's
on-the-fly word modulation. But again, it's not fleshed out. 

Adon is easily learned, less ambiguous.. has the sound of romance
languages, with the sentence structure of English to help with automated
translation. It also has a more-precise mode fo logical discussion, while
still sounding nice. 

Esperanto has a wider user-base, which is important. But I prefer Adon.

Lojban looks weird, and I don't care for it's strict sentence structure..
But I intend to look into it more at some point for it's many other good
points. Lojban is designed to be able to be precise and unambiguous,
which would certainly recommend it to this list. In addition, I think
there's at least one expert on this list who would be able to help us.

The language of film is universal.

Mathmatics is clear, and designed to make assumptions apparent (a good
thing for this list). It also is difficult to discuss human topics with
math (which may or may not be a good thing for this list). It has the
added benefit of being gender-neutral and there is already a lot of work
done in the areas of set theory, relationships, knots (for the kink
crowd).

Of computer languages, HTML tags can already be seen occasionally on this
list, to clarify the context of a passage or phrase.

I dislike Python for it's dependance on indentation, which I consider to
be mixing meaning and format. Perl is better at being flexible, but it
can be hard-to-read when using advanced concepts. It does have better
data structures than English, making it easier to analyze relationships
(without getting caught up by data types as C or Java would)

<opinion>So I think that the official language of sfpoly should switch to
Lojban, with a transistion period of using HTML markups and equations
where possible to eliminate confusion.</opinion>

The Lojban home page is at 
<a href="http://www.lojban.org/">www.lojban.org</a>

-- Otter

_______________________________________________
SFBay-Poly maillist - [email-masked]
To change subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/listinfo/sfbay-poly
by chain.digitalkingdom.org with esmtp (Exim 3.22 #1 (Debian))
id 150o6h-00021C-00
for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 18 May 2001 10:32:07 -0700
Received: from poly.polyamory.org (IDENT:mailman@localhost [127.0.0.1])
by poly.polyamory.org (8.11.0/8.11.0) with ESMTP id f4IHUAd15594;
Fri, 18 May 2001 10:30:10 -0700
Received: from chain.digitalkingdom.org ([email-masked] [64.169.75.101])
by poly.polyamory.org (8.11.0/8.11.0) with ESMTP id f4IHTsd15580
for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 18 May 2001 10:29:55 -0700
Received: from rlpowell by chain.digitalkingdom.org with local (Exim 3.22 #1 (Debian))
id 150o4W-00020V-00
for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 18 May 2001 10:29:52 -0700
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Suggestion for New List Rules
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
User-Agent: Mutt/1.3.17i
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>; from [email-masked] on Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:17:27AM -0700
From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Sender: [email-masked]
Errors-To: [email-masked]
X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
X-Mailman-Version: 2.0
Precedence: bulk
List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-Subscribe: <http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/listinfo/sfbay-poly>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
List-Id: SF Bay Area poly discussion <sfbay-poly.polyamory.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/listinfo/sfbay-poly>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/private/sfbay-poly/>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:29:52 -0700

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:17:27AM -0700, Chris O'Hare wrote:
> <opinion>So I think that the official language of sfpoly should switch to
> Lojban, with a transistion period of using HTML markups and equations
> where possible to eliminate confusion.</opinion>
> 
> The Lojban home page is at 
> <a href="http://www.lojban.org/">www.lojban.org</a>

<humble+sincere>I swear to every diety I've ever worshipped that I
didn't put him up to this.</h+s>

.o'anai zo'onai mi nupre fi lo cevni poi mi pikci fe le du'u mi na cpedu
di'u ko'a

-Robin, the "expert" referred to[1]. 8)

[1]: Dammit, I'm not even fluent yet. 8)

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/
_______________________________________________
SFBay-Poly maillist - [email-masked]
To change subscription options or unsubscribe:
http://poly.polyamory.org/mailman/listinfo/sfbay-poly