Subject: decline of the english language

From: Björn Gohla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:56:44 +0200

coi rodo 

in the lojban faq it reads:

...
This dominance, and a heritage of colonialism
and imperialism that built resentment towards American and European
impositions on native culture, has caused recent movements in other
countries away from English. The rising influence of Japan and
other countries on world economics, science, and technology makes further
declines in English's universality likely.
...

when was this written? my experience is the exact opposite. in fact
being a cand. phys. all the advanced literature i use is in english, either
because it will not be available in german for a long time or it is cheaper 
anyway. i dare to say that over 90% of all natural science publications in 
germany are written in english, some universities even accept diploma theses 
in english. they are also working heavily on being able to offer
a certain number of lectures in english, and trying to introduce bachelor and 
master degrees which are hardly known here in contrast to the usual diploma.
also english is pervading popular culure beyond rediculousness, stupid
advertivements introduce englisch words even for the most trivial things that
can be very well descibed in german, doing that they try to draw upon the 
so called "american way of life". the abhominable "handy" (mobile phone) is 
probably one of the less disturbing examples.

co'o
- -- 
- --------------------
HARDFAIL("Not enough magic.");
2.4.0-test2 /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/nbd.c
pub 1024D/834F4976 2001-01-07 Björn Gohla (Wissenschaftler, Weltbürger) 
<[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 9FF4 FEDA CCDF DA0E 14D5 8129 6C14 3C39 834F 4976
sub 1024g/29571FE2 2001-01-07