Subject: Loglan in Farmer's Dayworld

From: "Evgueni Sklyanin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:58:46 -0000

It is a matter of common knowledge that Loglan has been mentioned
in R. Heinlein's "Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Speaking about other 
tributes to Loglan in sci-fi literature, I have never seen mentioned
Philip Jose' Farmer's Dayworld trilogy:

Dayworld (1985)
Dayworld Rebel (1988)
Dayworld Breakdown (1990)

Just for the record (and to add another twist to the recent "decline 
of English" thread:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DWR, ch. 14: [a piece of "future history"]
<...>
The global melting pot begun by Wang Shen was well on its way to 
boiling.
Nationalism and racism were wiped out, though, at the price of 
variety.
The immigrants brought here, most unmarried or childless, were 
supposed to
marry and have children whose mixture would be even more complex 
than those
of their parents. The index of mixture that had already occured was 
apparent
from the languages that the majority of newcomers spoke. Welsh had 
long been
extinct; most people in Wales spoke Bengali, a language that would 
itself
be dead in two generations or less. Albanian spoke a descendant of 
Cantonese.
Both groups, like everybody else, could also use Loglan, the synthetic
worldwide speech, though only when they had to do so, and all had 
learned
English in school. The Conqueror, Wang Shen, and his son had had a 
great
admiration for that tongue. As a result, one-fourth of the world had 
been
born to it. Unfortunately, Indonesian English, for example, was not 
always
completely intelligible to speakers of Norwegian English, even though 
the
mass media of the world used Standard English.
<...>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DWR, ch. 27, p.287:
<...> [watching movie on TV]
As the opening music, Mulligan Tchakula's classic `Saint Francis 
Kisses
His Ass Goodbye' swelled and the credits were flashing in orange 
letters
in English and Loglan, Duncan thought about when he had first seen 
the movie.
<...>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DWB, ch.23, p.212: [a monument to Wang Shen]
<...> On all four sides of the pedestal were bronze plaques with only 
his
name in English and Loglan letters and in Chinese characters.
<...>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DWB, ch.28, p.266:
<...> [on a TV show in Russia]
It was a high-class show, that is, conducted verbally in Loglan. 
But, since
many people were not fluent in this, subtitles in English and Standard
Tuesday Russian were displayed.
<...>
----------------------------------------------------------------------