Subject: Re: [lojban] Lessons

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 03:01:17

la nitcion cusku di'e

>The lessons are near the end; I currently intend to write only one more
>lesson, addressing (if only briefly) the nasty issues I know we'd rather
>not get into, but which you can't help coming up against in usage: sets,
>sumti-raising (tu'a *and* jai, but not jai + BAI), indirect questions, 
>lambda
>variables (but *only* with regard to ka...)

Only don't call them lambda variables, please... :)

>I'd rather 15 than 14 lessons, particularly since that will allow the saga
>of the final translation exercise passages to play out; so again, if you
>think there's something I've missed in the lesson material, do let me know 
>in
>the next couple of days.

I'll try to read them this weekend. How can I get them using CVS?
I know how to update the files I already have, but I couldn't
figure out how to get new files.

>My current thinking, btw, is that forethought
>connectives are not worth mentioning in an introductory course, as they
>are too infrequently used.

Hmmm... My impression is that {ge} is far more frequent than {jai},
for example, but I can't prove it. Would it be too difficult to
generate word frequency and cmavo frequency lists from jbosnu-list,
or from the irc-logs, for example? It would be interesting to compare
them with the ancient word frequency lists I remember having seen
somewhere sometime.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.