Subject: Re: [lojban] "Learning Lojban" Audio Tapes

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:01:55 -0400

At 07:39 AM 05/25/2001 -0700, Andrew Collins wrote:
>My questions:
>
>Do "Learning Lojban" audio tapes exist?

There exists a tape that LLG sells, which has some samples of 
pronunciation, but there is nothing like a coordinated audio-based course 
of the sort you can buy for other languages. People on the list do not 
think all that much of it, and I don't blame them. It is a recording of a 
list of words, and some snippets of prepared dialog that can be found in 
the draft textbook lessons. We used multiple voices, but all of the 
participants had a decidedly American accent that non-US people don't much 
like.

>If so, where can I purchase some of them?

>From LLG (i.e order to me at the below address), $10.

>If not, why not?

We haven't yet written a proper textbook for the language yet, and there is 
no established pedagogy for teaching the language. Therefore it is hard to 
know how to design an audio course. There are only a couple of people in 
the group who know much about teaching languages (and a lot of us aren't 
particularly good at learning them either).

As you can see from the ongoing discussion on the list, Nick Nicholas is in 
the process of writing an introductory Lojban text. Not a full textbook of 
the language, but a place to get started. If the lessons prove to be 
effective in getting people started, someone will undoubted create some 
downloadable audio files of the examples in that package, and we might 
prepare a tape version as well, but we haven't discussed this yet. But an 
integrated audio course is still a bit downstream.

But maybe your asking will inspire someone for the future.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org