Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: Grammar Clarifications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:56:19 EDT

In a message dated 5/28/2001 12:52:55 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> <> That aside
> > (incompetence, surely -- why will people take up a logical language and 
> not
> > learn logic?), just why has identity, of all the logical primitives, 
> fallen
> > into disfavor?
> 
> 
> 
> Anti-malglico backlash; discomfort with the fact that it can't be tossed
> around like "is".>
> 

But, as noted, it CAN be tossed around like the English word "is." It is 
just that doing so is considered 1) very bad style 2) (as in logic classes) 
evidence that you don't really understand what you are doing/saying 3) likely 
to get you into deep doo-doo in complicated cases. All of which are true. 
But none of these are reasons to dump {du}, just reasons to learn to use it 
(and the rest of the apparatus) correctly. Without {du} we can't do a large 
nuumber of things that any language, but especially a logical langauge, needs 
to do.