Subject: Re: Enemy [Was: [lojban] Request for grammar clarifications

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:22:25 +0300

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 05:34, Jorge Llambias wrote:
> la rab spir di'e cusku
>
> >So {du} is only to be used for mekso now?
>
> Goodness no! Mekso should _never_ be used.

.u'iro'e
>
> According to my style-book, {du} is bad style and should be avoided
> within reason, sets are very bad style and should be used only under
> the most exacting of circumstances, and MEX are atrocious style and
> should never be used.

.ia {du} is not bad style per se, but is generally to be avoided because of 
the danger of malglico, e.g. {mi du lo ctuca} or worse.

I don't see any harm, however, in using {du} to emphasise that the 
expressions on either side have the same referent. To use Frege's celebrated 
example,

la cernytarcin. du la vancytarcin.

(or should that be {la'e}?).

robin.tr