Subject: RE: [lojban] Not a troll, just a silly post [Was Re: Enemy & Re: No number base]

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:58:54 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Craig wrote:

> > It's official... this dumb phrase has now been mentioned on every single
> > mailing list I'm on.
>
> Really? I'm on several, and this is the first place. But, have you had them
> all mention "Somebody set up us the bomb" yet? That one's harder to
> Lojbanize, since there's no equivalent of 'set up' on my copies of the lists
> of gismu and lujvo. I looked for set up, install, and establish. Sounds like
> we need a new lujvo, huh? I mean, that's not the only place where we need
> something like that.

That usage of "set up" isn't the same as "setup" as regards software, or
equipment, etc. This is {tcica bredi}, whereas the setup you do to your
software is just {bredi}.

<imo>The two phrases are broken English. You cannot convey the same
meaning in grammatical Lojban, because the nongrammaticity of the English
is the whole point. I mean, you are laughing at the poor Japanese->English
translator who produced the sentence, right? (I don't see anything else
funny about the sentences.)</imo>

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.