Subject: Re: [lojban] Translations

From: Steven Furlong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:15:32 -0400

Arnott Jennifer wrote:
> 
> Are there any well known books translated into Lojban?
> One comic book that has been translated into many
> languages is Tintin. I've been looking at that, and
> there'a a lot of stuff I don't know how to say in
> Lojban. For example, how do you say 'Flight 714' (Vol
> 714 pour Sydney) in Lojban? I've read all the lesson
> guides on the internet, but they don't say how to
> translate a lot of things.

Translating common expressions is a problem because Lojban differs _so_
greatly from natlangs. Just do the best you can, provide the original
text in its original language, and post it to the list. You'll get
plenty of help from the most fluent Lojbanists. la xorxes., for
instance, was of great help when I was writing a children's book a
couple of years ago.

One of the Lojban projects I was attempting to work on a year or so ago
was a compendium of common English expressions and their Lojban
equivalents. Often several equivalents, in fact, depending on context.
Alas, that project has been put on the back, back burner since I've
reentered school and have no free time for such idle pursuits. (In fact,
I should be studying now. Bad Steve!) Also, I can't even turn what I'd
done over to someone else because I managed to trash the files in the
course of making a backup, an unaccountable human error.

-- 
Steve Furlong, Computer Condottiere Have GNU, will travel
617-670-3793 [email-masked]

One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them.
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Redmond, where the shadows lie.