Subject: Re: [lojban] Books

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:25:57 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> > >I've read all the lesson guides on the internet, but they don't say
> > >how to translate a lot of things.
> >
> > That's because the language is still so young that we have to work out
> > how to translate most things from scratch.
>
> And then argue about it for a week. 8)

Another project that would be interesting, CVSable, and have a lower bar
to entry would be a little booklet (meant to be printed 4"x5" or so), that
would be a "How Do I Say... ?" for travellers to Lojbanistan. It would
also then become something of a FAQ for questions of "How Do I Say... ?"
on the list.

Hopefully translating everyday things like, "Where is the bathroom?"
wouldn't require a lot of arguing, as I think if I had to watch an
argument about translating "Where is the bathroom?" I'd die laughing. ;)

When I was studying Japanese, I remember seeing a series of books (Power
Japanese?) that were sort of in that format, except they were on specific
topics and include, in addition to phrases, entire conversations.

(The dictionary web page (jbovlaste) is still about where I last left off.
I decided I'd like to be able to eat, so I got a job which is sucking up
what passed for my free time before.)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.