Subject: Re: [lojban] zo by

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:23:42 -0400 (EDT)

[email-masked] scripsit:

> {by} is used as a variable or an anaphora, so {by lerfu} is ambiguous 
> in context and certainly not always true.

Typically it is false, unless the antecedent of "by" is "by", which is not
typical.

> /b/ is a token of the type [b] and {by} stands for the type, so "This 
> is "b"" is probably (in the present sense) {ti me by}.

No, that still involves the anaphora.

> Maybe this is all backwards and {by} should stand for the sound (but 
> freeze is in effect) and then the letter would be {bybu} (like Sanskrit, a 
> much more oral tradition).

The Right Thing is "me'o by", where "me'o" is the article meaning "the
mathematical expression ...".

> Failing that, I suppose the sound has to be "the b-sound" {le 
> bybusrsance} -- maybe {lo} and surely needing some cleaning up as a whatever 
> the heck it turns out to be. 

That will work.

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter