Subject: Re: [lojban] Books

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:25:25 -0400

On Fri, 01 Jun 2001, Jay Kominek wrote:
>Another project that would be interesting, CVSable, and have a lower bar
>to entry would be a little booklet (meant to be printed 4"x5" or so), that
>would be a "How Do I Say... ?" for travellers to Lojbanistan. It would
>also then become something of a FAQ for questions of "How Do I Say... ?"
>on the list.

I have been thinking of writing a phrasebook for a long time. Let's start it.
We could also include such tidbits as the exchange rate for the Lojbo rupnu,
why Lojbo call everyone else's money units rupnu too, and the like.

>Hopefully translating everyday things like, "Where is the bathroom?"
>wouldn't require a lot of arguing, as I think if I had to watch an
>argument about translating "Where is the bathroom?" I'd die laughing. ;)
>
>When I was studying Japanese, I remember seeing a series of books (Power
>Japanese?) that were sort of in that format, except they were on specific
>topics and include, in addition to phrases, entire conversations.

Japanese bathrooms are sometimes confused with a stringed instrument I play,
and when I was in Cincinnati and someone told me a Japanese greeting, it was
easy to wonder if Japanese on the other side of the river say "Kentaki
gozaimasu".

phma