Subject: Re: [lojban] Allah

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:09:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/2001 3:09:01 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > >roda cevni gi'o me la ala'ax
> > 
> > but this would mean "Everything is a god if & only if it pertains to
> >

No, in the current dispensation, "iff it is a referent of {la ala'ax}"

<la ala'ax du lo pa cevni
(Allah = the one-and-only god)>

Tidy! and it does work, I think.

<I guess it depends on the goal of translation--is it to express the same 
idea, or to additionally imitate the phrasing of the original?  With a 
language like lojban, which is "different by design," how practical is it to 
try the latter?>
Depends on what you are translating. Some things require moe style than 
others. But I think the Alice translators, for example, have given up on a 
lot of Alice -- the horrible puns first, I suspect.