Subject: Re: [lojban] Allah

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 20:59:45 +0300

On Thursday 01 January 1970 02:00, michael helsem wrote:

>
> i think a descriptive sobriquet like LA MUSYCEI is entirely
> appropriate for names that cannot be transliterated without
> mangling them beyond recognition. in any case, let's leave it
> to the first MUSLO LOBYPRE...

Technically speaking, I think that's me, though I hail from the Turkish 
"church", which, like Laurence Sterne's Church of England "makes no demands 
upon a man's politics, or, for that matter, upon his religion" (actually, I 
once filled in a web questionairre which purported to find the religion that 
most closely approximated your beliefs/values, and ended up with Neo-paganism 
.ue.u'i).

I'm not sure that {la musycei} would be an appropriate name, since Muslims 
are adamant that the god they worship is not specific to Muslims, but is also 
the god of Jews, Christians or indeed any monotheist (more liberal Muslims 
count Hindus in here as well, since technically all the Hindu gods are 
aspects of bhagvan, and way-out Muslims count Taoists in as well). I'd go 
for {la .alax.} as the simplest cmene. If you want to translate "Allah", it 
just comes out as {le cevni}. If you want to specifically exclude all the 
other possible candidates, I suppose you could use {le jegycei}, though it's 
a pretty ugly word.

As for my own terminology, I just use {le cevni} when I'm speaking/thinking 
generally, and {le selpramrai} when I'm thinking in terms of my own kooky 
belief-system.

robin.tr