Subject: Lessons: unicode

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:58:13 -0700 (PDT)

As an addendum: the final lesson contains text in IPA (in a certain alien
language that shall go unnamed), which I've thus put in Unicode. OpenJade
(at least I think it's OpenJade rather than DocBook DSSSL) gets very
confused in its RTF output. Then again, maybe it's Word that's confused.
In any case, bits of the IPA text don't show on screen, because they're
still Arial, or whatever; you may have to highlight the entire phrase and
change it to your Unicode font. Ick. I'll see in the next few days if
there's a workaround. Heaven only knows what the deal is for TeX. (I
sidestep this in HTML, using ASCII, because I don't want the entire thing
to be in Unicode, as would be the default. I hope I don't have to do the
same for the print version.)

The lessons are hereby complete, and open to trial use and emendation.

-- 
/||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\
| "One must first know that traditionally a Japanese bus has carried not ||
| only a driver but one or more young girls who stand in the aisles and ||
| sell tickets, announce stops, and in general console the passengers for||
| the inadequacies and discomforts of this transient world." \
| --- Roy Andrew Miller, _The Japanese Language_, p. 251 \
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
\[email-masked]|||||||Transient Passenger||||||Nick Nicholas||||||||||
==\||||||||||||www.opoudjis.net||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/
()() ()() ()()