Subject: Re: [lojban] Allah

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:57:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2001, Robin Turner wrote:
> >I'm not sure that {la musycei} would be an appropriate name, since Muslims
> >are adamant that the god they worship is not specific to Muslims, but is also
> >the god of Jews, Christians or indeed any monotheist (more liberal Muslims
> >count Hindus in here as well, since technically all the Hindu gods are
> >aspects of bhagvan, and way-out Muslims count Taoists in as well). I'd go
> >for {la .alax.} as the simplest cmene. If you want to translate "Allah", it
> >just comes out as {le cevni}. If you want to specifically exclude all the
> >other possible candidates, I suppose you could use {le jegycei}, though it's
> >a pretty ugly word.
>
> The problem with "la .alax." is that it's not a valid Lojban cmene - it breaks
> into "la .a la x". That's why we have these variants alex, alyx, ala'ax,
> ala'um, ala'un.

There are 99 names of Allah. Pick one!

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/7368/islam_99_names.htm

But in Lojban, it is 'jegvo cevni'. Allah == the Jewish God == the
Christian God. We don't need a special name to distinguish the God of the
Muslims, because it's not a different God!

-----
We do not like And if a cat
those Rs and Ds, needed a hat?
Who can't resist Free enterprise
more subsidies. is there for that!