Subject: Re: [lojban] Allah

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 22:10:49 -0400

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:09:14PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> <I guess it depends on the goal of translation--is it to express the same 
> idea, or to additionally imitate the phrasing of the original?? With a 
> language like lojban, which is "different by design," how practical is it to 
> try the latter?>
> Depends on what you are translating. Some things require moe style than 
> others. But I think the Alice translators, for example, have given up on a 
> lot of Alice -- the horrible puns first, I suspect.

I must say that I'm fairly impressed by {mi'a te cmene ra lu ractu canmi'a
li'u ki'u le nu ra ctuca mi'a} as a way to salvage "We called him Tortoise
because he taught us!"

Well, kind of. "Rabbit Sand-Laugher" doesn't even sound like a plausible name.
The inserted consonant could be changed to s where you would get
{ractu casmi'a} -> "Rabbit Ridiculing-Laugher".

Or does this cause confusion because "Ridiculing-Laugher" would be said in
English as "Mock" while another sense of that same word was just previously
translated to Lojban as {jitfa}? Oi, I see a horrible inter-language pun coming
on...
-- 
Rob Speer