Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: Rabbity Sand-Laugher

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:48:48 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/2001 4:02:49 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > I want to make it clear that I think finding that phrase was remarkably 
> > clever. It can't be easy to find that close a match in a language which 
> is 
> > designed to be uniquely decomposable. I deserves some kind of medal.
> 
> Would you settle for an ego trip? Oh, it seems you already did. 

"IT deserves" I am, if possible, a worse typist than I am a writer. I don't 
know for sure who invented the phrase, maybe xorxes?

<> Or pick on someone your own size: 
> an adult novel: David Copperfield deserves translation into Lojban -- 
> spelling asiide again -- or The Catcher in the Rye or some other modern 
> classic, if Victorian is too much a problem outside of kiddylit. 

That's a great idea. Now, how does the Lojban community go about getting the
rights to translate a copyrighted book?>

I don't know, but given that Esperanto comes out with things within a decade, 
it must be possible. And, given the nature of Lojban right now, I suspect we 
could get away with fair use for academic purposes, certainly if we stick to 
short stories and poems, but probably also for longer works. And it seems 
unlikely that anyone will go after Lojban soon for copyright infringement. 
But in the meantime, it seems that there are plenty of relatively mdoern 
books that are no lnger under copyright --look at the knockoff volumes in any 
bookstore.