Subject: Re: [lojban] More Alice

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:19:16 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/2001 9:27:07 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Solemn "Often-Laugher" is actually not bad at all, since it fits
> well with the cyclothymic nature of the Mock Turtle, and also the
> "Laughing and Grief" taught by the Classical master.
> 

Yes, getting better. How is "Laughing and Grief" going by the way.

<>Is it time for another round on what Lojban poetry will be like, given that
>neither rhyme nor rhythm are likely to play major roles?  In any case, a
>dance would be a bad candidate for an early contribution.

Why? I don't understand the defeatism.>

What defeatism? Defeatism assumes that nothing will work. I want to see 
some successes and that comes about by starting with things that can work, 
rather than (the Loglan/Lojban habit) "impossible" projects. No one will be 
happier than I if one of those "impossible" projects comes off, but the deck 
is tacked against it, and the price of chosing those as targets is losing 
people out of frustrration or disgust. Dances are bad choices because they, 
unlike Lojban, have very tightly controlled rhythmic patterns. We can 
reporduce those patterns in Lojban but often at the cost of sense or even 
grammaticality. Eventually, we will work out a way of doing some of these 
thing, but we haven't yet. Do try, but don't complain if we point out that 
you haven't made it. The Quadrille has four bars to the line, each bar four 
beats with the stress on the last beat. The chorus is slightly different, 
three iambs and a dactyl.