Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: Rabbity Sand-Laugher

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:34:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> I don't know, but given that Esperanto comes out with things within a decade,
> it must be possible. And, given the nature of Lojban right now, I suspect we
> could get away with fair use for academic purposes, certainly if we stick to
> short stories and poems, but probably also for longer works. And it seems
> unlikely that anyone will go after Lojban soon for copyright infringement.
> But in the meantime, it seems that there are plenty of relatively mdoern
> books that are no lnger under copyright --look at the knockoff volumes in any
> bookstore.

Copyright law does not recognize "academic purposes". Frequently licenses
for the usage of copyright material will allow free usage for academic
purposes, but I have never, never seen a dead tree book published with a
copyright notice in the front that mentioned academic purposes.

Fair use extends only to small samples. (I believe satire and parody are
also protected.)

I suggest that people check out the copyright FAQ,
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/faq.html
before they get any ideas about doing anything illegal.

Currently items which were copyrighted before 1928(?) have been released
to the public domain. Assuming Congress passes no new legislation, then in
2024, things will start being released into the public domain again.

IANAL. IDNPALOTV.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>