Subject: Re: [lojban] New words

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:43:02 -0400

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>I'll try. Shouldn't we use some standard format, so that the trouble
>is not in vain? Is every lujvo considered a new word? I don't use
>any lujvo list when I'm translating, mainly because I don't know
>where to find an easily accessible one on-line, is there one?

If the place structure is obvious (for instance, an animal that's not of the
tiger or sheep kind) but the meaning isn't, list it. If the meaning is clear,
but there are more places than you used and you want to specify what they are,
list it. Use your discretion. I put some words in the NEW_WORDS file in drbible.

There's NORALUJV.txt on the lojban.org website; also lujvo-list.

>>The words in alice-10 for salmon and whiting are xunlabyfi'e and labyfi'e.
>>These may be good for Alice, but I wouldn't use them in talking about
>>specific fishes. I would call them salmone and merlanu.
>
>I wouldn't have come up with those, but you're the expert on animal
>and plant names. What do you propose for soles and eels?

First figure out how to explain a whiting, that'll tell you whether soles and
eels even come up. In French the whiting is "le poisson le plus lent de la
mer", which has nothing to do with shoes. The porpoise comes out as "I would
never go anywhere in the sea without taking care", marsouin=mer+soin (I forget
the French wording, I don't have the book with me).

As to eels, see the recent post about the Hungarian phrasebook.

>>Labyfi'e is whitefish,
>>which could be any of several kinds, including the whiting (a gadoid), the
>>beluga sturgeon, the beluga whale, and a salmonoid called Coregonus.
>
>It's all just fish to me... :) Do you have a compilation of animal
>names somewhere?

I looked that up in the OED. The whiting is merlan in French, merlangus in
Latin, which is probably of Germanic origin.

phma