Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: Rabbity Sand-Laugher

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:48:03 -0700

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 10:53:24AM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> I am still unsure what empathetic opining is --xod got so into my head
> that agreement resulted? The sentence in question is < .a'unaicai
> pe'idai le nu fanva la .alis. cu palci .ianai .u'e > in which the only
> assertion is < le nu fanva la .alis. cu palci >; the rest is emotive
> response. 

Umm, I think it's pretty freaking obvious. He's empathising
with/expressing what he believes to be _your_ opinion, which he
expresses as "le nu fanva la .alis. cu palci". A bit unorthodox, but I
found it instantly clear. Oh, he's also expressing repulsion,
disbelief, and wonder at your opinion. The 'dai' clearly states that
the opinion is not his own.

-Robin, who thinks 'dai' rocks, and people should use it more often.

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/