Subject: Re: [lojban] More lexing curiosities - la'i within cmene?

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 06:45:17 -0400

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
>It is true that the rule prohibiting "la" is overkill and eliminates some 
>things that could cause problems, but the idea was to keep the rules as 
>simple as possible. That is also why we use Type 3 fu'ivla. No mistakes 
>when doing ad hoc work.

Do you mean "eliminates some things that could not cause problems"?

>>So the rule should be that if any of the lerpoi "la", "lai", "la'i", or "doi"
>>occurs in a word ending in a consonant, with the lerpoi immediately 
>>followed by
>>a consonant and either preceded by a vowel or at the beginning of the 
>>word, the
>>lerpoi falls off and becomes a separate cmavo, and anything that preceded the
>>lerpoi falls off from it.
>
>Too much rule.

No, it may be worded too prolixly, but it's the right rule. The rule in the
refgram is unclear. Here's the way the rule should be:

Names are not permitted to have the sequences ``la'', ``lai'', or ``doi''
embedded in them, unless the sequence is immediately preceded by a consonant or
followed by a vowel or apostrophe.

The stuff about falling off is for the lexer.

phma