Subject: Re: [lojban] tanru clarification, please.

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:40:32 -0400

Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> So, obviously la djan. must be an x1 of nanla for the statement to be
> true.
> 
> My question is: does he also need to be an x1 of gleki for the statement
> to be true, or is it just assumed by convention that sumti filling the
> x1 of the tertau is also filling the x1 of the seltau?

The official answer is that there is no official answer: tanru,
Humptywise, mean what the speaker wants them to mean. This
interpretation (called "parallel" in the Book) is a pretty likely
one, but it is not inconceivable that "gleki nanla" means
not "boy who is happy" but "boy whose age is happy".

-- 
There is / one art || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
no more / no less || http://www.reutershealth.com
to do / all things || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
with art- / lessness \\ -- Piet Hein