Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: Rabbity Sand-Laugher

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 16:16:51 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/2001 2:17:56 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > By the way, there's some strong evidence that the reason that children
> > are better at learning languages is their willingness to make mistakes.
> 
> 
> .ie ja'o le maltcaci be le zu'o lizburna gunta le srera be'o ca'a zunti le
> zu'o nalcertu je naldarsi jbocilre .i pa'e la pycyn. zukte dada'o poi
> xlali le jbotadni .e le lojbo kambanro .i .e'unaicai

The trick works, of course, because, when a student makes a mistake, he is 
corrected and when he does not he is praised. Thus, the teaching gets 
focused on the parts that need work, not spread over the whole territory. If 
the student were treated the same whether right or wrong, he would never 
learn it at all or learn it very badly. This latter approach is probably the 
inexpert and undeveloped Lojban learning that xod thinks I am interfering 
with. I hope I am; some nice expert and developed learning seems needed. As 
for the embarassment of being shown wrong, I am sorry about that -- though I 
can't recall xod ever admitting he was wrong or being obviously embarassed. 
I will try to be nicer in the future (but that "Kick Me" sign is an awful 
temptation).