Subject: RE: [lojban] Sound recordings for the lessons

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:41:08 -0400

Yeah, I know how it's supposed to be different, but when I'm practicing
quickly it always comes out as an H, except that I get it right in the cmavo
xa and other places with an A after it. My native language is English, and
the only times I've heard the /x/ sound in my life are in hebrew and
german - and I don't hear either one very often. Oh yeah, and people
clearing their throats.

-----Original Message-----
From: sentto-44114-7640-991927703-ragnarok=[email-masked]
[mailto:sentto-44114-7640-991927703-ragnarok=[email-masked]]O
n Behalf Of Robin Lee Powell
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:28 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lojban] Sound recordings for the lessons

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 09:45:06AM -0400, Craig wrote:
> Technically this is unrelated, but it's still a pronunciation thing. Since
> lojban. does not use the sound we spell th in english, maybe we should use
> that instead of h for apostrophes. I don't know about the rest of you, but
I
> have trouble differentiating between the ' and the x when I speak with the
> standard pronunciation. What do you think?

<boggle>

xy. is a hard, german 'ch' as in 'bach'.

That's about as far from a breathy english 'h' as in 'Oh hello' I can
imagine whilst still having any similarity at all.

What is your native language?

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.