Subject: copyrighted translations

From: Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:57:57 -0400

Given the recent discussion on what texts can and should be translation 
efforts, I just recalled that we actually do have copyright permission to 
translate some modern works.

Specifically we have permission from the author to translate the David Brin 
short story
"Toujours Voir".

>The Logical Language Group Inc. may use my short story, "Toujours
>Voir" for purposes of experiment, comparative translation and publicity,
>reproducing those translations in any format, including electronic,
>providing it not be for profit, and that a copyright notice in my name
>accompany all copies, and that any use be relevant in some way to the
>stated goal of the study of language. All rights to revert after 10 years.
>Copies of all translations should be forwarded as a courtesy to David
>Brin.

(I'll handle the forwarding, if a translation is done.)

The permission was granted in November 1996, and I don't know whether the 
10 years started then or with the completion of a translation - if we get 
to the point where it is relevant, I'll ask for clarification.

Given that the permission is only for the Lojban, I am not sure that we can 
put the English text into CVS where it could be freely copied, but if 
someone were to type/scan in the English, I can distribute it to any who 
are working on the translation.

Mr. Brin is sufficiently impressed with Lojban that it is probably likely 
that we could get additional permissions for translations if we 
successfully undertake this one.

We also have permission to translate some children's radio plays, which are 
available on a web site that I would have to dig up. Again, I don't 
believe we would be able to distribute the English text.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org