Subject: Re: [lojban] An approach to attitudinals

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:33:45 -0400 (EDT)

Jorge Llambias scripsit:

> But that in no way means that I can remove the attitudinals from
> a bridi and that what is left is something that I am asserting.
> Sometimes this is how it works, sometimes it isn't.

Very true.

> But in {a'o la djan pu klama le zarci} I am not claiming
> that John went to the market. I can't hope for something that
> I know is true, {a'o} requires that I don't know that the statement
> is true, and also that I don't know it to be false either. 

That is the "propositional attitude" sense of "a'o". But it too
has a "pure emotion sense" as well: "a'o mi cevni le du'u
la cevni cu zasti" probably does not mean "I hope that I believe
that God exists", but rather "I believe that God exists
(which gives me hope)."

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter