Subject: Re: [lojban] An approach to attitudinals

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:37:07 -0400

At 01:38 AM 06/09/2001 +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>la lojbab cusku di'e
> >All we know is that the speaker feels hope when
> >confronted with the proposition of the president being honest.
>
>{a'o} can't mean both "hope for" and "hope from". Just because
>English uses one word for both concepts is not a reason to give
>both meanings to the Lojban word.

It means neither - it means simply "hope", an emotional state that the 
speaker is displaying by expressing the word.

I suspect that "hope from" applies but am not sure exactly what that 
entails. Certainly some chunk of language or that which the language 
represents is associated with our feeling the emotion of hope, but the 
connection is contextually determined.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org