Subject: Re: [lojban] copyrighted translations

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:44:55 -0400

At 07:44 PM 06/08/2001 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 03:57:57PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language 
>Group wrote:
> > Given the recent discussion on what texts can and should be translation
> > efforts, I just recalled that we actually do have copyright permission to
> > translate some modern works.
> >
> > Specifically we have permission from the author to translate the David 
> Brin
> > short story
> > "Toujours Voir".
>
>http://wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9612/msg00074.html
>
>I can't believe this hasn't been done yet. If I wasn't on a laptop in a
>hotel I'd probably already be working on it.

Well the permissions were given back in 1996, when we were still writing 
the book and actual Lojban expression was at a low ebb (look at the amount 
of list traffic in the ensuing months).

I found the radio play permission too - that dates back to early 1995.

>To Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group:
>
>Nancy Farmer and Aaron Shepard grant permission to translate into Lojban
>the reader's theater script "Resthaven," based on _The Ear, The Eye, and
>the Arm,_ Orchard, New York, 1995, and to use the translated script for
>educational, noncommercial purposes. This permission does not include
>the right to publish the translated script in textbook form or in any
>other form that will be sold.
>
>The note on story source and copyright must be retained in the
>translation.

Chris Bogart and Goran Topic apparently each made a stab at translating it, 
and Jorge may have done so, though I don't have his text

Goran's first effort is in
http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9502/msg00006.html
but there was further discussion and I don't know what the final version was
and Chris's (done independently) is
http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9502/msg00056.html

I don't know that any consensus was reached as to which was better - I 
can't find any further comment after Chris posted his version and said that 
he would look at Goran's.

The English in this case is posted at
http://www.aaronshep.com/rt/RTE04.html

There are a total of 27 radio plays on that site, written by much-published 
children's writer Aaron Shepard over the last 10 years, who has said that 
he will give us permission to translate and use those works which he has 
sole copyright on (most of them) and in the above case obtained permission 
for us to translate a derivative work.

The generic permissions on the site include:
>The scripts may be freely copied, shared, and performed for any 
>educational, noncommercial purpose.

which does not include translation permission, but I have email from him 
saying it would be straightforward to do so (and he has authorized Chinese 
translations of some of them, which can be found on an independent Chinese 
site).

It'd be nice to get a final version of the one play, and maybe have some 
people tackle some of the others.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org