Subject: Re: [lojban] An approach to attitudinals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:03:07 EDT

I want to thank you all for starting the writing of my next section on 
attitudinals. I know I should have started with the "other-worldlies" to 
get them out of the way so that the rest would better fall under the 
generalizations I start with, but I wasa in the midst of the discussion about 
the cognitives and so it was easier to just carry that on and over.
I am less thankful for the "new" problem that you ahve presented about the 
response use of some of the "other-worldlies." Apparently it, not some of 
the cases that I imagined as being left over from English, was the ambiguity 
Lojbab and djan mentioned earlier. I have to admit that I had never 
considered these cases and can't think of good English examples to guide me 
-- the lines always seem causal and assertive, not emotive (and so to 
suggest, for example, a distinction between {pacna le du'u} and {pacna le nu} 
-- though I am not sure which one is which). 
I dislike using the preceived truth or lack of the preoposition to 
disambiguate, since it will disambiugate differnetly then for different 
people, though I assume it is the speaker's view that strictly determines 
which is meant.