Subject: Re: [lojban] An approach to attitudinals

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:27:13 -0400

Before this discussion continues, I'd like to know what was wrong with my
suggestion. I'll reiterate:

* Attitudinals attached to a word in the sentence affect the truth value of
that sentence
* Attitudinals attached to the beginning of the sentence express a feeling and
do not affect the truth value

Granted, the Book doesn't say this, but I think it would be a reasonable way to
achieve more clarity just as a convention.

However, if that doesn't work, there is also this possibility:

* Attitudinals always affect the truth value of the sentence.

This is nice and consistent - and it _doesn't_ stop you from simply expressing
an emotion! Just put attitudinals in a separate sentence.

.i a'o le merja'a cu stace 
I hope the US President is honest.
.i a'o .i le merja'a cu stace
I have hope. The US President is honest.

(sorry for still using merja'a, I forgot what the generic lujvo was)

--
Rob Speer