Subject: Re: an approach to attitudinals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:39:40 EDT

While I am not sure that the effect of attitudinals on truth values is the 
most interesting question about them nor the best way to put the question 
that is being asked under that rubric, it is the center of the present 
discussion. Permit me to try out a schema on this topic, classifying 
attitudinals as
I Presupposing the attached bridi is true
A. responding the claimed situation and its immediate, obvious, 
"inevitable" 
effects (pure emotions)
B. responding to the possibilities it opens (I take it this is 
Lojbab's hope)
II Not presupposing the attached bridi is true (maybe separated into no 
presupposition and presupposing false, but the next moves seem about 
the 
same -- though may have different names
Response if it were true (hope-fear)
Evaluation (should)
Commitment to its being true (wish - intend )
Involvement of others (suggestion - power based range of 
petitions)

I'm not sure about the structure of this last bit, but I think this is 
approximately correct.

Comments?