Subject: Re: [lojban] zi'o and modals

From: Richard Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:02:22 -0500

Jay Kominek wrote:
> 
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Richard Todd wrote:
> > a: mi klama ; I go
> > b: go'i bai ma ; Compelled by what?
> > a: zi'o ; Nonexistent, doesn't apply
> > b: je'e ; roger.
> 
> Shouldn't a respond with noda, not zi'o?

Well, since {ma} just means ``fill in a value that makes this sentence
true,'' and {mi klama bai zi'o} is a valid sentence, A has the option to
respond with {zi'o}. The difference, as I understand it:

noda = No force exists which compells me. Though the relationship I'm
expressing could have a force component in it, there isn't one in this
case.

zi'o = a compelling force is not part of the relationship I'm
expressing. It doesn't apply here, and couldn't in any case.

Someone please let me know if this doesn't compute; I've convinced
myself that it makes sense but that doesn't make it true...

Richard