Subject: Re: [lojban] The new approach to attitudinals

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:04:58

la rab spir cusku di'e

>* Attitudinals attached to a word in the sentence express feeling 
>associated
> with that word.
>* Attitudinals on their own express a simple feeling.

What kind of feeling does {ai} represent? And {e'o}? Could
you give some examples?

>* Attitudinals attached to the beginning of the sentence modify the truth 
>value
> of the sentence.

I think I know what you mean by this, but I disagree with the wording.
Attitudinals don't modify the truth value. The truth value of a
proposition does not change by something someone says (except in weird
cases like propositions involving {dei}). {la djan klama le zarci}
has a truth value independent of the speaker's feelings or knowledge
about it. The attitudinal tells us how the speaker feels about it,
some attitudes require the speaker to believe that the proposition
holds, some require that the speaker doesn't know it, others
may be indiferent to that knowledge. The truth value in any case is
not modified.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.