Subject: Re: [lojban] Purpose of bridi

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:56 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/2001 10:28:50 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> 
> 
> suppose I have expressed a bridi. I wish to add something to that bridi
> which states that the fact that the bridi is true serves a specific purpose.
> Furthermore, the bridi is actually 2 bridi connected by and which are
> logically identical, so I can't just find some strange way of turning the
> bridi into a [the-event-of foo serves purpose bar] form (Oaky, maybe I can,
> but I haven't figured out how). I need to do this for my work on the emerald
> tablet of Hermes - it has the line "That which is inferior is as that which
> is superior and that which is superior is as that which is inferior for the
> accomplishing of the miracles of one thing." Now the superior and inferior
> actually reefer to 'above' and 'below' if other translations are any guide
> 

I don't do translations, but for an old friend like the Smagdarene Tables I 
might be tempted to at least say a word or two.
1) It is not the bridi or the truth of the bridi that has a purpose, the 
purpose attaches attaches to the equivalence relation : the one is as good as 
the other for this prupose (maybe for something else they differ -- they 
certainly do in their "altitude" on whatever scale it is marked).
2) The equivalence is in this one property, so probably {dunli} covers it. 
Its third place is the property in question, accomplishing the miracles of 
one thing (whatever that may mean in broader terms).
so:
lo galtu cu dunli lo dizlo lenu zukte whatever ije lo dizlo dunli lo galtu 
lenu zukte whatever. Then all you need is to deal with whatever and to find 
the thing that allows you to combine the two sentences keeping one copy of 
lenu zukte whatever as the third place in both -- there's bound to be one, 
but I can't remember or find it (why I don't do translations in part).