Subject: Re: [lojban] Letterals for notes and chords

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:28:33 -0400 (EDT)

Rob Speer scripsit:

> Keep in mind
> that {l.bu} and {r.bu} are valid, unless there's some rule against one-letter
> cmene I don't know about.

There is not. Indeed, before ".y." was introduced into the language as a
hesitation noise, there was some use of "r." for this purpose. At that time,
bare cmene were vocatives, and pycyn. said this was an invocation of the
god R, Lord of Hesitation.

The other gods of Loglandia/Lojbanistan are la jig .e la talen, from an early
Loglan translation exercise, and of course la zipf.

> (Side topic: are one-letter cmene usable? How do you pronounce {la d.}?)

As best you can. :-)

There are other names with problematic pronunciations already: la rl., for
example, can be pronounced with syllabic r, syllabic l, or both.

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter