Subject: Re: [lojban] Letterals for notes and chords

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:10:57 -0400

At 10:08 PM 06/11/2001 -0400, Rob Speer wrote:
...
>These could be expressed as letterals (most likely within a shift such as {zai
>zgike bu}) by adding a bu to each. l and r are kind of odd. Should they be 
>made
>into more reasonable letterals by making them {lybu} and {rybu}? Keep in mind
>that {l.bu} and {r.bu} are valid, unless there's some rule against one-letter
>cmene I don't know about.

...

>But then we need sharps and flats, and also double-sharps and double-flats
>(Music theory says that F# and Gb should be considered different notes even
>though they aren't, and E## is different still. But nothing ever needs to go
>beyond double-sharp or double-flat.) So, let's replace the "n" at the end of
>the note name with "r" for a sharp or "l" for a flat, "z" for a double-sharp
>and "j" for a double-flat. (The letters are chosen fairly arbitrarily, 
>although
>the English words 'natural', 'raise', and 'lower' came to mind.)

The proper way to do all this is with Mex, and lerfu can be mixed with PA 
in Mex strings. C Sharp is just cyza'u and double sharp is 
cyza'uza'u (me'i would be used for flats). (You could also use ma'u and 
ni'u as specified in the cmavo list for ji'i-based rounding). cyno would 
then work for C natural (octave numbers should use subscripts with xi, I 
think).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org