Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: zi'o and modals

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:17:47

la ritcrd cusku di'e

>ti botpi le djacu le blaci noda
>
>I was interpreting it as "this is a glass bottle of water with no x that
>is a cap." I now see it as "It is false that this is a glass bottle
>with water and some cap x."

Exactly.

>Except, now it bothers me even more that {ti botpi fo zi'o} doesn't
>exclude the set of all bottles that *do* have caps. The way it is, how
>would you say, unambiguously, that "this is a botpi, except without a
>cap"?

You could say for example:

ti botpi fo zi'o secau lo gacri

but you are not really talking about a botpi there, zi'o changes
the realtionship to something else, and botpi is the weirdly
specific bottle-content-material-cap relationship.

Instead of using zi'o you could also talk of a {botpi simsa vasru}
for example, or {clani vasru}, or something like that.

Or (my favourite) forget that botpi has a fourth place and
assume it only has three places like normal Lojbanic containers.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.