Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: zi'o and modals

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:16:22 +0000 (UTC)

So why don't we just change the meaning of 'botpi' so that it only
has three places and none for a cap?

Because an indented volume with a cap is not the same as an indented
volume without a cap. The one, the `cave with a door', is a `botpi';
the other, the `natural cave', is a `kevna'.

`botpi' does not simpley mean bottle, it means any closable container,
including a cave. The word can mean the `mouth of a man' or a well.

Here are the distinctions, from the gismu list:

x1 is a bottle/jar/urn/flask/closable container for x2, made of
material x3 with lid x4
/:/
/=/ botpi (bot bo'i)

x1 is a cavity/hole/hollow/cavern in x2; x1 is con-cave within
x2; x2 is hollow at locus x1
/:/ [also pit, depression, concaveity; hollow (= selke'a)]
/=/ kevna (kev ke'a)

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com