Subject: Re: [lojban] An approach to attitudinals

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:53:24 -0700

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 05:05:20PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> Here's an extension that I think I like:
> 
> 1. In a sentence by itself, UI is a bare emotion.
> 2. At the front of a sentence, UI modifies the assertive nature of the
> whole bridi.
> 3. After a particular sumti, UI modifies the assertive nature of the
> element, but leaves the assertive nature of the bridi alone.
> 4. After the brivla, UI does not modify the assertive nature at all.
> 
> Note that #2 contravenes the book.

Which is stupid. So, how about this:

1. In a sentence by itself, UI is a bare emotion.

2. At the front of a sentence, UI does not modify the assertive nature
of anything at all.

3. After a particular sumti, UI modifies the assertive nature of the
element, but leaves the assertive nature of the bridi alone.

4. After the brivla, UI modifies the assertive of the bridi as a whole.

This way, current usage of things like .ui is maintained, although
current usage of things like .a'o is changed.

Which still contravenes the book, but IMO in a less obnoxious way.

So, using do klama le zarci le zdani and the UI .a'o:

.i a'o .i do klama le zarci le zdani
[Hope!, about something unspecified.] You go to the store from the
house.
[do klama le zarci le zdani is asserted.]

.i .a'o do klama le zarci le zdani
Your going to the store from the house makes me hopeful (about something
unspecified.
[do klama le zarci le zdani is asserted.]

.i do klama le zarci .a'o le zdani
I hope you went *to the store* from the house. [The klama is asserted,
but not where do klama'd to, exactly.]

.i do klama .a'o le zarci le zdani
I hope you *went* to the store from the house. [Nothing is asserted.]

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/