Subject: RE: [lojban] An approach to attitudinals

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:06:48 -0400

Here's my $.02.
Words in [square brackets] in the examples are for clarification and are not
part of the translation.

MEEK LLAMA, OUI?

A. Attitudinals attach to the word before them.

B. An attitudinal expresses feeling about a bridi if it is attached to the
.i
.i .ui mi klama = I am happy that I come

C. An attitudinal attached to .i does not change the assertive nature of its
bridi
.i .ui mi klama still asserts .i mi klama

D. An attitudinal attached to a sumti expresses that the sumti is the cause
of that emotion with one exception, see H
.i mi .ui klama = I'm glad it's me coming [rather than someone else]

E. An attitudinal attached to a sumti does not assert the sentence to be
true IF the attitudinal is not:
.u'i = it would be amusing if...
.a'o = I hope that...
.au = I want...
.ai = I intend that...
.a'i = I will try to insure that...
.e'a = It is alright with me if...
.ei = It must happen that...
.e'o = It ought to be...
.e'u = It might be a good idea to...
.i mi .ui klama = I'm glad it's me coming
.i mi .a'i klama = I'll make sure I come

F. An attitudinal attached to the selbri implies that the bridi is true but
doesn't actually assert it.
.i mi klama .ui = My coming is pleasant [and probably occurs]

G. An attitudinal attached to the selbri implies but does not state that the
emotion is a result of the relation the selbri expresses.
.i mi klama .ui = My coming is related to [and probably the cause of] my
pleasure [and probably occurs]

H. An attitudinal attached to zo'e states that the zo'e refers to something
which not only could fill that place, it would cause the emotion to be felt.
The bridi is asserted unless something else changes this fact.
.i mi klama zo'e .ui = I come to some pleasing destination

I. xu is not an attitudinal.

Advantages: It supports every use I've seen.
It does not contradict the book except on the list in E
Most of it is intuitive {at least for me} though admittedly not
all.

BIG DISADVANTAGE: It's confusing.
.i .ui mi .ui klama .ui zo'e .ui = I am happy that I am the one who is
coming [which I would probably find pleasant] [which probably occurs] [and
the coming probably gives me pleasure as well] and the destination of this
coming pleases me as well.

Obviously it needs work, but the advantage of supporting ALL USE SO FAR is a
pretty big one, IMHO.