Subject: Re: [lojban] An approach to attitudinals

From: Richard Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:20:08 -0500

Craig wrote:
> 
> Here's my $.02.
> Words in [square brackets] in the examples are for clarification and are not
> part of the translation.
> 
> MEEK LLAMA, OUI?
> 
{sections A through I elided}

...or we can just learn that 

"Beginning of sentence" = world-building/no assertion/whatever you call
it

"anywhere else" = assertion of truth.

Its appeal is that it is so straightforward. It doesn't try to cover
all the known uses, but I don't see it as less expressive. I cannot say
so for sure because I can't express much of anything in lojban as of
yet.

> BIG DISADVANTAGE: It's confusing.
I wouldn't say confusing...it's just orders of magnitude more complex.
(rule E, which is a list of exceptions, is especially the kind of thing
I hope we end up avoiding).

r