Subject: RE: [lojban] Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:44:57 -0400

>Myself, I am not sure that we won't eventually have Lojban attitudinals
>that are NOT translatable to other languages.

You mean they aren't already untranslatable? I'm beginning to think the
heart of the debate about assertions comes from a perception that they can't
just express a detached feeling of hope on the one hand and that happiness
doesn't affect the truth value on the other hand - a holdover from English.
This is why we get questions like 'Right. And what is the non-propositional
sense of {ai}? "I'm feeling intentuous today"?' which comes from a
difficulty for English speakers to fathom new ways of describing emotions
we've felt our whole lives. I still don't get the propositional sense of
.ui, but I consider that to be my own cultural myopia. So if the fact that
attitudinals can't be translated is proof of the SWH, then lojban. has
served its purpose.

.ui.ui.ua.u'asai
.ua.uo.ui.u'asai
.uo.ua.ua.u'asai
.ua.uo.ui.u'acai

--la kreig.daniyl

'segu temci fa le bavli gi mi'o ba renvi lo purci
.i ga la fonxa cu janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku cmesanji: 0x5C3A1E74